By Frederick Courteney Selous
- associated desk of Contents
- Illustrated with thirteen photographs and photos
With a Foreword through President Theodore Roosevelt
"Mr. Selous is the final of the big-game hunters of South Africa; the final of the powerful hunters whose reports lay within the maximum looking floor which this global has noticeable due to the fact that civilized guy has seemed therein."
"His publication is a real contribution to looking lore and to average background. it may be welcomed by means of each lover of the chase and by means of each guy who cares for the wild, loose lifetime of the barren region. it may be no much less welcome to all who're drawn to the main bold and fascinating of the beasts that live in our global today."
--- Theodore Roosevelt
DAILY TELEGRAPH.—"This intensely fascinating quantity is not just as interesting as any booklet of event, yet packed from disguise to hide with priceless evidence and theories that no different residing guy may possibly speak with equivalent authority."
EVENING STANDARD.—"It is most unlikely to provide greater than a really mild proposal of the wealth of curiosity there's during this quantity for hunters and naturalists alike. From disguise to hide it truly is choked with considerate statement and image description."
COUNTRY LIFE.—"There isn't a web page during this well-written and deeply-informed ebook which can't be studied with excitement and revenue via the common reader. To the fellow who is aware Africa the quantity is awfully attention-grabbing from disguise to hide. it truly is destined, we've got no doubt, to be numbered one of the classics of African literature."
- bankruptcy I: Notes at the Questions Of protecting color, reputation Marks, And The impact Of atmosphere On dwelling Organisms
- bankruptcy II: additional Notes at the Questions Of protecting colour, acceptance Marks, And The effect Of setting On residing Organisms
- bankruptcy III, IV & V: Notes at the Lion
- bankruptcy VI: Notes at the noticed Hyena
- bankruptcy VII: Notes On Wild canines And Cheetahs
- bankruptcy VIII: Extinction And Diminution Of online game In South Africa — Notes at the Cape Buffalo
- bankruptcy IX: Notes at the Tse-Tse Fly
- bankruptcy X: Notes at the Black Or Prehensile-Lipped Rhinoceros
- bankruptcy XI: Notes at the Giraffe
- bankruptcy XII & XIII: A trip To Amatongaland looking for Inyala
- bankruptcy XIV: Notes at the Gemsbuck
- bankruptcy XV: a few Curious searching Experiences
- bankruptcy XVI: additional Curious searching Experiences
- bankruptcy XVII: Incidents Of A trip throughout the Northern Kalahari
- bankruptcy XVIII: The final Of South Africa's video game Haunts
- bankruptcy XIX: How I Spent Christmas Day 1879
- bankruptcy XX: Notes at the Masarwa: The Bushmen Of the internal Of South Africa
Read or Download African Nature Notes and Reminiscences (Illustrated) PDF
Similar adventurer & explorer biographies books
Relocating to the Dominican Republic: the anomaly of Paradise is the hilarious but severe tale of an American relocating to the Dominican Republic. it's a needs to learn for someone who has puzzled what it'd be wish to reside within the Caribbean. Ross Weber makes use of humor and genuine lifestyles reviews to explain the tradition surprise and different setbacks of constructing the transition from dwelling within the usa to dwelling within the Dominican Republic.
A lot has been written on Antarctic explorer, Ernest Shackleton. this can be the tale of the persistence expedition's different hero, Joseph Russell Stenhouse (1887-1941) who, as Captain of the SS Aurora, freed the send from pack ice and rescued the survivors of teh Ross Sea shore social gathering, deeds for which he was once provided the Polar Medal and the OBE.
The identify of John Muir has come to face for the security of untamed land and barren region in either the USA and Britain. Born in Dunbar within the east of Scotland in 1838, Muir is famed because the father of yank conservation, and because the first individual to advertise the assumption of nationwide Parks. Combining acute commentary with a feeling of internal discovery, Muir's writings of his travels via the various maximum landscapes on the earth, together with the Carolinas, Florida, Alaska and people lands which have been to turn into the nice nationwide Parks of Yosemite and the Sierra Valley, bring up an expertise of nature to a non secular measurement.
In an period while segregation thrived and Jim Crow reigned very best, adventurer Matthew A. Henson defied racial stereotypes. in the course of his teenage years, Henson sailed on vessels that journeyed around the globe, and it's these reviews that stuck the eye of famed arctic explorer Matthew Peary. working as Peary’s first guy” on six expeditions that spanned over 1 / 4 of century, Henson was once an important member of all of Peary’s most famed expeditions.
Extra info for African Nature Notes and Reminiscences (Illustrated)
African Nature Notes and Reminiscences (Illustrated) by Frederick Courteney Selous